12.2.24

Wednesday, 7 February

 At Sea – Overnight the motion of the ship increased significantly, along with all the associated noises. Heavy fog also moved in, and the ship’s foghorn sounded regularly. The informative talks continued, first with a discussion of birds we might see – mainly various types of albatrosses – then with the political history of Antarctica. And it was my lucky day – I won a game of bingo!! Enough to cover more than half of what I’ve spent on bingo so far this trip. Larry heard about all the kinds of ice that exist, while I collected my daily prize for the Mensa quiz and played trivia with a new team. They were excited that I recognized a Fibonacci sequence (none of them had ever heard of it) and knew how many time zones Canada has, but we still didn’t win. The last talk of the day was information on preserving the environment in Antarctica, and how to dress for the weather. Sadly, we didn’t pack too well for the latter, but we’re good with the former. Really, we should have cold-weather clothing; what were we thinking when we packed? I think we’ll be watching from inside for the most part. The show tonight was the guitarist again, so I chose not to go.

The Single Photo of the day


Tuesday, 30 January 2024

  Flying to Argentina: We had no luck checking in for our flights on line, and the site advised us to arrive at the airport early. It was ea...